NEW YORK — A report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) warns swimmers should be cautious when entering pools this summer due to parasites that are immune to water treatment methods, according Latinoshealth.com.

The parasites could cause widespread incidents across the U.S., noted the article. Cryptosporidium has led to a rise in outbreaks since 1988. It makes a hole in the small intestine and can be destructive to an individual’s immune system.

The contaminant is resistant to chlorine and can live in treated water, reported the article. CBS News Medical Contributor Dr. Holly Phillips maintains in the article that all recreational waters should have regulated health standards to avoid the outbreaks.

CDC’s Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) released in 2014 recommends a secondary decontamination step such as ultraviolet light or ozone be used to combat the parasite, stated the article.

E. coli has also led to a large number of outbreaks from 2011 to 2012, shared the article. Swimmers are encouraged to avoid swimming if they have any nausea or diarrhea.

Click here to read the entire article.