1. In plumbing connections, the point at which a pipe, fitting or valve is connected to another pipe, fitting or valve is called a (an):
2. In plastic pipe, heat fusion is also sometimes referred to as:
a. thermal bonding
b. fusion welding
c. socket fusion
d. all of the above
3. The purpose of solvent cement is to:
a. partially dissolve the pipe surface
b. provide a glued joint
c. clean the pipe surfaces
4. Plastic pressure pipes which cannot be joined by solvent cement joints include:
a. polyvinyl chloride (PVC)
b. chlorinated polyvinyl chloride (CPVC)
c. acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS)
5. The following pipe materials necessitate the use of a primer when preparing the plastic for a joint:
6. All solvent cements are the same. (True or False)
7. Solvent cement joints are used to join plastic with copper pipe. (True or False)
Match choices a, b and c with their respective description number 8, 9 or 10.
a. compression insert fitting
b. flared joint
c. slip joint
8. One pipe slides into another and a gasket, “o” ring, packing or caulking is used to make the joint tight.
9. A fitting with barbed ends that are forced into the ends of flexible polyethylene or polybutylene tubing to be joined and are sometimes secured into place by a clamping device around the outside of the pipe end.
10. A joint used to connect flexible plastic tubing or soft copper tube to a fitting. The watertight connection is made by placing a special nut with female pipe threads over the tubing end and then spreading the end of this tubing with a plug or screw-type tool. When the male fitting end is then screwed into the female nut and tightened, the spread tubing end is forced to make a leak-proof compression seal.