Remember the webinar a few months ago when we talked about perfecting the in-home sale? It was a great program that many dealers attended and we got great feedback from it. So, I want to follow up and share some new data.
I recently read some great information about LeafGuard, a company that manufactures and installs gutter guards. For people who don’t know what a gutter guard is — it’s either a one-piece specialized gutter or a gutter cover attachment that prevents debris and leaves from clogging a homeowner’s gutters. As a homeowner who has had backup caused by clogged gutters, I know the value of this kind of item!
Anyway, the people over at LeafGuard surveyed homeowners across the country to find out what is most important when scheduling an installation with a home improvement company. The questions they asked were: "Who do you let into your home?" And, "How do you trust someone to do quality work?"
Here are the results of their survey:
- 71 percent of homeowners say that a sense of personal safety is very important or extremely important.
- 74.7 percent say it is very important or extremely important to be present when an installer shows up.
- 80.2 percent say that it is very important or extremely important to meet with a home improvement professional in person beforehand.
- 60.4 percent want to choose a business they have heard of in the past, saying it is very important or extremely important.
- 67 percent say it’s important to conduct research on the quality of the service in addition to researching the product/company.
- 66 percent say that reviews are very important or extremely important when choosing a home improvement service.
- 11 percent view a warranty or satisfaction guarantee as not all that important or slightly important.
So, what’s the takeaway?
Homeowners want to do business with people they like and trust.
Just like water quality companies, all home improvement companies need to make sure their staff gives homeowners a feeling of professionalism and security during the entire sales process — from the appointment setting, to the in-home appointment to the installation and follow up — to be successful.