Certification Action Line features questions and answers typical of those appearing in Water Quality Association (WQA) certification examinations. Some answers may not satisfy everyone or every condition.
1. Ion exchange water softening decreases the following element(s) in the treated water:
2. An objectionable feature of manganese in water is _______.
a) health hazard
b) water hardness
c) staining of fixtures
d) musty odor
3. Cloudiness caused by very minute particles suspended in water is termed _______.
4. A granular media filter is designed to reduce _______.
d) suspended solids
5. Volatile organic chemicals (VOCs) in water come from _______.
6. Trihalomethanes (THMs) in water come from _______.
a) solvents and chlorine reactions
b) herbicides and chlorine reactions
c) decaying leaves’ residue and chlorine reactions
d) divinyl benzene and chlorine reactions
7. Trihalomethanes in drinking water present the following health risk:
a) heart disease
c) high blood pressure
d) reduced IQs in children
8. Drinking water is tested for coliform bacteria because these microorganisms _______.
a) indicate the potential presence of pathogens
b) are disease-causing
c) cause gastrointestinal illness
d) can be analyzed with a field test kit
9. One part per million equals _______ milligrams per liter.
10. The drinking water treatment process that is designed to kill pathogens is _______.