Certification Action Line features questions and answers typical of those appearing in Water Quality Association (WQA) certification examinations. Some answers may not satisfy everyone of every condition.
1. What does not materially affect the friction loss in a given length of pipe?
a) hardness of the water
b) number of fittings
c) roughness of the interior of the pipe
d) velocity of the flow
2. The least head loss in a pipeline would be caused by a fully open:
a) angle valve
b) check valve
c) gate valve
d) globe valve
3. The C factor of a water pipe is the measurement of the:
a) area to pipe diameter
b) cost to diameter ratio
c) pipe diameter to area
d) interior roughness
4. “Cathodic protection” means protection against:
5. Uncontrolled scale deposits can:
a) reduce the potential for waterborne-disease outbreaks
b) reduce the carrying capacity of the distribution system
c) interfere with disinfection practices
d) reduce pressure and velocity
6. The type of corrosion caused by the use of dissimilar metals in water systems is known as _______ corrosion.
7. Red water is experienced in one home while no problem exists in nearby homes. Laboratory tests show that the water is not corrosive. You should check:
a) temperature in all piping
b) piping for excessive scale buildup
c) head loss
d) for bacteria
8. Corrosion may be observed in a distribution system as:
a) an electric shock
b) a red water problem
c) causing an increase in water velocity
d) causing dirt or nuisance organisms
9. Polyposphates are used to:
a) control algae
b) improve taste
c) keep iron and manganese in solution
d) kill bacteria
10. What is the head on a system exerting a static pressure of 62 psi?
a) 89 ft.
b) 107 ft.
c) 143 ft.
d) 175 ft.