Certification Action Line features questions and answers typical of those appearing in Water Quality Association (WQA) certification examinations. Some answers may not satisfy everyone of every condition.
1. Man first used ion exchange reactions to treat water _______.
b) in the 19th century
c) around 1912
d) in the 1940s
2. The earliest systematic and verified studies on ion exchange are credited to _____.
a) Sir Francis Bacon
b) Benjamin Franklin
c) Michael Faraday
d) Thompson and Way
3. Synthetic cation and anion exchange resins were first developed _______.
a) around 1912
b) in 1935
c) in 1943
d) in the 1950s
4. Pure water exhibits some electrical conductivity due to the autoionization of water itself.
5. Dissociation of a salt into cations and anions is known as dissolving.
6. The positively charged electrode of a battery is the _______.
Match the salinity or salt content with the type of water.
7. distilled water
8. freshwater lakes and rivers
10. deionized water
a) 100 to 500 milligrams per liter
b) 10 micrograms per liter
c) 35,000 milligrams per liter
d) 1 milligram per liter