BIRMINGHAM — In the article, “Selling water reuse to the uneducated consumer,” featured in a previous issue of Water Technology, we discuss what consumers need to know regarding water reuse technologies for the home and business.
- Greywater systems: Take water used for bathing or washing and re-direct it to be used to flush toilets or for irrigation.
- High efficiency reverse osmosis (RO) systems: Waste little, if any, water due to a reuse process.
- Rain water collection systems: Capture rain water for household uses such as taking showers, washing cars or watering household plants.
With regards to commercial water reuse, further opportunities are available — especially for businesses producing a large amount of wastewater. One expert shares a few commercial water reuse technology options to keep in mind:
- Membrane filtration (UF): For pathogen and particulate removal.
- RO: For salt and mineral removal.
- Ozone: For advanced disinfection and trace organics/pharmaceuticals removal.
- Activated carbon: For effluent polishing.
You can find the entire article on commercial and residential water reuse technologies and how to educate consumers on the benefits of reuse here.